Saturday, March 19, 2011

KME2589 Guinea in Blue by Kit Hevron Mahoney (Encaustic painting)





Finally, I have some encaustic paintings to show. It took awhile to set up a studio and start experimenting. I did this little painting inspired by a piece I did in a workshop in Texas last January. I stayed with a good friend and fellow artist, Julie, in Boerne, TX who has a Guinea Hen living on her property. She sent me these incredibly beautiful feathers that the unnamed Guinea leaves behind which I have immortalized.
It is a challenge to find time to experiment in the encaustics, abstracts and keep up with my regular painting these days but I love the challenge.
I have a little description of encaustic for those who are wondering what the hec it is!
Encaustic painting, also known as hot wax painting, involves using heated beeswax to which colored pigments are added. The liquid/paste is then applied to a surface—usually prepared wood, though canvas and other materials are often used.
Encaustic painting was practiced by Greek artists as far back as the 5th century B.C. Click here for more history

6"x6" unframed original encaustic painting
$150.00 + $10.00 shipping and handling

2 comments:

Kay said...

this is lovely. what a great way to use the feathers! I have Dominique hen feathers that are very pretty..I might have to do something with them. I have a friend who does encaustic. She is currently making rust prints. They are so cool!

Brenda Ferguson said...

This is magical! I have a special affinity for feathers. Forgive my ignorance of the process...are the feathers painted or are the real feathers sort of collaged on?
Brenda

More Paintings You Might Enjoy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...